What is new product development?
New Product Development (NPD) is a product development process that uses stages to help teams strategize, define, design, and develop a product for market. This process typically applies to the entire process of introducing a new product to market or bringing an existing product to a new market.
The IDEO approach to new product development
The team at IDEO specializes in the introduction of new products and they have developed a great five-step procedure for bringing a new product through development and into market.
- Understand and Observe. Learn about the problems, challenges, and needs of customers.
- Synthesize. Dive deeper into the problem space and make sense of the data collected in the first stage.
- Visualize. Try to picture the customer using the product or solving their problems with your solution.
- Prototype and Test. Get the concept into a state where feedback from your target market can be used to enhance the product experience.
- Design and Validate. Finally, start designing and developing the solution and validate that it meets user expectations.
Get Started for Free or Schedule a Live Demo to Learn More
Related Blog Posts
Featured Blog Posts
Competitive Product Development: How to Decode the Competition
As a product owner, the prospect of bringing a new product to market is exciting. You see a gap in the market for a device, software, or mobile app that will make your customers' lives easier or more enjoyable.
Delta Testing and CX/UX: Elevating the Voice of the Customer
Let's get one thing straight: delta testing does not replace UX or CX. Yes, delta testing, also known as user testing automation, provides exploratory user experience feedback from real-world usage by representatives of your target market demographics. But delta testing's unique deliverables are complements to, not competing with, the work of UX and CX teams.
Beta Testing Is More Than Just an Insurance Plan
Here’s the universal truth about insurance: you buy it, but you hope you never actually have to use it. We treat insurance as a necessary evil for this reason. Nobody ever looks forward to purchasing or using it. In every case where insurance gets used — be it for your car, your house, or your […]
How Wearables Testing Shapes Success
Explore why beta testing is vital in turning wearable concepts into market-ready, trusted health devices.
A New Way to Inspire and Celebrate Testing
Chatting with Brad Day about Centercode's new Test Infographic, we dive into its inspiration, beta feedback, and evolution.